I found this Gluten-Free Cake recipe on Goop but decided to make a couple of adjustments so that it would be healthier and tastier for me. However, you need not follow my lead…
This cake is so healthy you could even eat it for breakfast (I know right?)
2 1/2 cups lightly packed almond flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup whole milk yogurt
1/2 cup sugar (replaced with 1/3 cup of maple syrup)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Zest of 1 medium lemon
1/4 cup olive oil + extra to grease pan (replaced with 1/4 cup of organic grapeseed oil and I used butter to grease the pan).
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (lower to 325 F as maple syrup caramelizes faster than sugar)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, baking powder and kosher salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together yogurt, sugar (or maple syrup), eggs, vanilla extract, almond extract and lemon zest.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine. Slowly fold in the 1/4 cup oil (olive or grapeseed).
- Line an 8-inch cake pan with parchment paper and coat lightly with olive oil (butter).
- Transfer the batter to the pan using a spatula to spread it evenly.
- Place on a rack in the middle of the preheated oven and bake for 35 minutes (or until the cake is lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean). If you have used maple syrup instead of sugar the cake will come out darker.
- Let cool before eating.
Originally featured in Baking (Successfully) with Alternate Flours.
Photo courtesy Goop